Week 9: Mini Project II

October 26, 2013

For my second mini project, I have decided to create a Google Lit Trip. This may turn out to be the most difficult route for this assignment. I thought I would try out Google Earth for a Lit Trip because I know that Google Earth fascinates some students, myself included.

So far, creating a Google Lit Trip seems to be a bit difficult and not very intuitive. I looked at several examples during class on Thursday but I still couldn’t quite figure out the placemarks. By this, I mean it took me the whole class period to figure out how to create a placemark and then figure out what to do with it. I don’t consider myself to be too tech savvy but I normally make it by so this was a bit frustrating to me.

My idea for creating a Lit Trip is to take a Young Adult book, Peak by Roland Smith, and create a trip where students can view the earth from the location mentioned in the book. In the book, the main character, Peak, is caught climbing the Woolworth Building in Manhattan that land him in a juvenile detention center. His mountain climbing father, whom he hasn’t seen since he was a young child, comes to his rescue. But his father has something up his sleeve. He wants to gain publicity about his mountain climbing company by having Peak reach the summit of Mount Everest at 14 years old that would make him the youngest person to reach the summit.

My plan for using this technology in a classroom would be to have students read the first 50 pages of the book and then show them the locations mentioned on Google Earth using my Lit Trip. Once the students see the locations, I would have them read the rest of the book and write summaries or create a video or podcast detailing what happens to Peak at each base camp along the way.

I’m not finished with my mini project; I’m still trying to work out the kinks such as how to create a border around a country or location. I’ve picked out my locations and I’m in the process of deciding what I should include at each placemark. I’m thinking about adding videos about climbs and perhaps background information about the locations as well as a short blurb about what happens in the book at each particular location.

What I really like about Google Earth is that people are able to post picture at certain locations and this can help students get a feel for what the area looks like. Also, using features such as Street View can allow students to take a tour of an area that they may not be able to visit, such as Mount Everest or even Washington, DC.

Categories: INDT 501.

Tags: , , ,

Comment Feed

2 Responses

1. AdrianaOctober 27, 2013 @ 9:15 pm

Wow, your idea sounds exciting and very much interactive and engaging for students. I agree with you that working with technology is really time consuming, especially when we have to learn by trial and error. However, I think that once we have got familiar with the tool it is much easier and we can provide examples for our students. I also think that we need to keep the activity simple and brief, on the contrary it would take months to finish a project.

2. Arleen DavisOctober 27, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

I agree that this week, the projects seemed to require a lot more time to prepare. The Google Earth and Trek are great tools for students to see parts of the world they cannot see otherwise as you pointed out. Even if we as teachers cannot master an organized journey, students can learn a lot from playing with the Google maps or Google Earth to look up various places relevant to a lesson and write about the information they have seen. It is a good resource regardless of how intricate the lesson plan gets.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.