Week 5: Creating a Video

September 27, 2013

This week in class, we dug a little more deeply into our Personal Learning Network tools and started to construct our curricular video. Each day, I’m learning new ways to find information on the Internet. One thing that I believe is different about these tools, such as Twitter and Feedly, is that these sources provide information about the world that I didn’t know I wanted to learn more about. Let me explain. Normally, when I use the Internet I go on to find a specific bit of information, for example I might go to the Internet if I’m looking for how to find the volume of an object. So I would type into Google something and bam! There is the formula for finding volume. However, using tools such as Twitter, I find that I’m presented with information that I was not actively seeking. Some of the information such as what a friend had for breakfast might not be so interesting but other information such as articles about adjunct faculty (something I retweeted from another source this week), I wasn’t actually looking for. I guess this could be called passively finding information. Also, Solomon (2010) had a great way to use twitter by connecting students with professionals all over the world to analyze temperatures in different parts of the world. I’ve used twitter before for another class and I have to say that it’s not my favorite social media outlet probably because I’m not a 140 characters type of person. As you can probably tell by the length of my post, I like to go in depth about things I’m talking about. So maybe the sort bursts of information throw me off. But I think all experience is good experience so I’ll keep an eye on my twitter, maybe I’ll get more interested in it. Plus, I believe it’s good to have an idea of resources our students will use outside of school in case I ever need to address something going on outside of the classroom such as cyberbullying.

Another tool we worked with this week is Animoto. I have to say, I’m really excited about this tool. At the beginning of the semester, I saw that we were creating a curricular video and I thought it would be a video of me giving an introduction of a topic lesson. I’m much more excited about creating a music video to introduce a topic. What a cool thing to do! I’ve seen these types of videos used in the classroom. Every year a school librarian I know creates a video about the book fair complete with quick summaries of books to drum up business and get students interested in books. Students love the videos and they’re a great way to introduce several topics. Also, my 8th grade geography class got to watch videos that introduced human rights. The kids were really engaged in learning more about these topics.

So when I first read about Delicious, I was a little skeptical. I didn’t think that I would find a use for it that related to my needs and interests. Actually, I just started bookmarking pages about a year ago. Before that, I would just type in the website each time I needed to access a particular website. I decided to use bookmarking because I was getting tired of going to a URL such as umw.edu then clicking helpful links then canvas. I wanted a simpler way to get to the webpages I used frequently. Thus, I stepped into the 21st century and started bookmarking. When we started using Delicious, I was thinking that I wouldn’t have any websites to actually put in there. Then I started putting in the direct links to the PLN websites and tagged them PLN.  Now I have all of my PLN websites together under a tag so all I have to go to is Delicious to remember which social media sites I need to go to participate. With one click (on the PLN tag), I can access the important websites thus cutting the time it would take me to remember which sites we are using. Before I did this, I was going back and forth between the Canvas page that says all of the PLN requirements each time I wanted to remind myself about the tools we’re using this semester.

Overall, I’m excited to finish up my curricular video. I’m still in the process of picking out pictures but I have an outline for my video and most of my information is ready to post into Animoto. I’m still working on figuring out an idea about how to use twitter in the classroom and liking the ease of access to links that Delicious provides for me.

References

Coffman, T. (2013). Using inquiry in the classroom: Developing creative thinkers and information literate students. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Education.

Solomon, G & Schrum, L. (2010). Web 2.0: How-to for educators. Eugene, OR: International Society for Technology in Education.

Categories: INDT 501.

Tags: , , , ,

Comment Feed

One Response

1. hperucciSeptember 29, 2013 @ 7:18 pm

Alisha – I liked how you explained the “passive information” found on Twitter and Feedly. I have come across the idea, but you described it nicely. I too, thought that I would be looking for very specific feeds and twitter profiles, but the general news sites and other public figures have provided me with much information that I believe is helpful to my professional development. You’ll definitely enjoy using animoto when you are ready to create your video – it is a very user-friendly site, and some of the design layouts are quite visually appealing – I had trouble picking just one!

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.