Blog #2- Professional Goals

September 8, 2013

My professional goals for the future, as an educator, are to focus on the learners that I have in my classroom and continue to adapt and grow in order to promote an innovative classroom environment. I would like to focus on fostering creativity in the classroom, promoting the use of technology amongst all students, and personalize learning so that each student is able to succeed.

I would like to stimulate creativity in the classroom. It is becoming more and more important that students utilize the information that they learn. Instead of passively learning say the state capitals of the United States, which is information that can be quickly found using the internet, it is important for students to understand why there are state capitals in the first place. Creativity in the classroom takes information a bit further perhaps by having students create a capital of an imaginary state in which they show why they put particular buildings close together, how they would setup a government in their location, and creating an interactive map of their city. In order to be able to do this task, students must first be armed with knowledge about state capitals, government, geography and more.

Technology is imperative to learning in a 21st century environment. Students must be able to utilize technology in order to be relevant in today’s world. Therefore one of my professional goals is to promote the use of technology in my classroom. I would like to use technology in innovative ways in order to keep up with the flow of information in the world. I want my students to learn to use technology effectively and be able to recognize the difference between quality information and biased information.

I would like to promote personalized learning for students in order to develop each student’s needs, interests, and goals. To do this I want to create a classroom, “that empowers every learner to take ownership of their learning, that emphasizes the learning of content and application of knowledge and skill to real world problems, that values the differences each learner brings to the learning experience, and that leverages rapidly changing learning environments by recognizing the possibilities they bring to maximize learning and engage learners” (Council of Chief School Officers, 2011). I believe it is important to develop personalized learning because there is so much information available through the Internet; it would be beneficial to capitalize on each students needs and interests to help them become the best they can be. When it comes down to it, the learners are why educators work in the first place. In order to make education work for all students it is important to figure out their personal needs and work with them. According to InTASC standard number 1, “The teacher understands how learners grow and develop, recognizing that patterns of learning and development vary individually within and across the cognitive, linguistic, social, emotional, and physical areas, and designs and implements developmentally appropriate and challenging learning experiences” (Council of Chief State School Officers, 2011). Teachers should focus on creating challenging experiences for the particular learner.

In this post I have included my lofty goals for the future of my career but I would also like to touch on my pragmatic goals. I would like to foster a safe environment for my students in which they are actively involved in their education. I want to take continuing education classes to keep up with current knowledge in the special education field. I intend on learning about the lives of each and every one of my students, figuring out their likes and dislikes. I want to keep in touch with my students as well.  I hope to be involved in professional organizations and attend conferences in my subject area.

Coffman, T. (2013). Designing instruction for creative thinking. In Using inquiry in the classroom: Developing creative thinkers and information literate students (19-34). Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield Education.

Council of Chief State School Officers (2011). InTASC model core teaching standards: a resource for state dialogue. Retrieved from http://www.ccsso.org/documents/2011/intasc_model_core_teaching_standards_2011.pdf

Categories: EDCI 506.

Comment Feed

One Response

1. patmcguireSeptember 10, 2013 @ 7:40 pm

I agree that some methods of teaching that require memorization, such as learning the state capitals, is something that could be unnecessary to learn but I still believe that memorizing small facts could be important. I also believe that you are right to promote creativity in the classroom but it mostly depends on what kind of class it is.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.